There are at least six artists with this name:
1. A British rock band (known as The Mission UK in the United States)
2. A Japanese pop group
3. An American rap group
4. An American Christian contemporary group
5. An American psychedelic rock band
6. An American R&B band
1) The Mission (known as The Mission UK in the United States due to a naming clash with a Philadelphia R&B band) is a goth band formed in 1986 in Leeds, England from the splinters of the freshly-dissolved goth band The Sisters of Mercy.
The band's original lineup consisted of Wayne Hussey (vocals, guitar), Craig Adams (bass), Simon Hinckler (guitar) and Mick Brown (drums). Hussey and Adams were formerly members of The Sisters of Mercy, Mick Brown was a former member of Red Lorry Yellow Lorry and Hickler was a former member of Artery and Pulp. Wayne Hussey has been the only constant member of the band.
The backbone of the band's catalogue consists of seven main albums (Gods Own Medicine, Children, Carved in Sand, Masque, Neverland, Blue, Aura and God Is A Bullet) with several complementing albums, compilations and other miscellaneous releases also in existence.
The Mission attracted a faithful following band of fans, known a 'Eskimos'. Gigs typically had an energetic mosh pit (prior to the term being coined) sustained by a lot of Eskimos.
Mark Gemini Thwaite (guitar, 1992-1996, 1999-2000, 2006-2008)
Andy Cousin (bass, 1992-1996)
Rik Carter (keyboards, 1992-1998)
Scott Garrett (drums, 1999-2002)
Rob Holliday (guitar, 2001-2005)
Richard Vernon (bass, 2002-2008)
Richard Beesley (drums, 2002)
Steve Spring (drums, 2003-2008)
In October 2007, Wayne Hussey announced the band would split after a series of early 2008 concerts at Shepherds Bush Empire in London.
In 2010, it was announced that The Mission would reform to perform at the Sinners Day Festival in Belgium on Halloween, 2011.
2) Mission is also the name of a Japanese pop group produced by Avex. The members are Oki Yayoi, Satou Chizuko, Hashimoto Mami, Miura Eriko, and Orita Miyuki. They only produced four singles between 1998 and 1999, with no album ever released. Oki Yayoi and Orita Miyuki went on to become members of Hipp's.
3) US Hip Hop group Crown City Rockers were previously known as Mission.
4) The Mission is an independent Christian contemporary group.
5) The Mission is a psychedelic rock band from late 60's. Some of their songs appear in "U-Spaces' Psychedelic Archaeology"
6) A Philedelphia R&B band as mentioned in entry 1. Read more on Last.fm. User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License; additional terms may apply.
- 998top track count